I love this time of year, when the fierce heat of summer is finally a thing of the past and a renewed mellowness settles over the garden.
There is a softness in the air now. The mornings feel gentler, the afternoons carry a cooler breeze, and everything seems to breathe a little more slowly. The roses, as if they have been waiting for this moment, begin to bloom again. Black-eyed Susans awaken the earth with their deep golden faces, swaying gracefully in the afternoon breeze. The garden seems to be finding its second breath.
I love watching this quiet transformation. Nothing happens all at once. There is no announcement, no great display. A bud simply opens. A seedling pushes through the soil. A tired-looking plant suddenly sends out a new blossom.
And as I walk among them, I can almost hear the voice of God whispering:
“The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed upon the ground, and should sleep and rise night and day, and the seed should sprout and grow, he knows not how.”
— Mark 4:26–27
We plant, we water, we wait. And then God does what only God can do.
The gardener does not command the seed to grow. He cannot pull it from the earth and make it bloom by force. He simply trusts the hidden work taking place beneath the soil.
And perhaps our lives are much the same.
There are seasons when we feel as though nothing is happening. We pray, we wait, we wonder if God is doing anything at all. We may look at our own hearts and see only dry places, unfinished growth, or branches that seem to have stopped blooming.
But beneath the surface, God may be doing His quiet work.
Roots are deepening. Faith is growing. Something new is forming where we cannot yet see it.
The garden reminds me that God is not finished simply because I cannot see the flowers.
He is working in the hidden places.
And then, sometimes when we least expect it, a rose appears again.
A forgotten seed blooms.
A tired branch becomes green.
And we realize that grace was growing all along.
So I want to remember this as I enter another season of my life: I do not have to understand everything God is doing. I only have to trust the One who planted the seed.
He knows the season.
He knows the soil.
He knows when it is time to rest, when it is time to grow, and when it is time to bloom again.
And perhaps that is what the garden is whispering to me today:
Be patient, dear heart.
God is still growing something beautiful in you.


No comments:
Post a Comment